The best things about crêpes are their simplicity and flexibility. They’re easy to make and can be personalized based on your sweet or savoury cravings.
This recipe is brought to you by The Happy Yam, a zine-ish cookbook dedicated to sharing passion for food and wellness. If you’re interested in making guilt-free home-made crêpes for breakfast or lunch, keep reading.
This recipe is flexible, so feel free to substitute any ingredients to your liking or dietary needs.
- a cup or a measuring cup (if you wanna get all technical)
- large mixing bowl
- crêpe pan/maker or cast iron skillet/grill pan/pan or non-stick pan
- cutting board
- large plate
CRÊPE BATTER INGREDIENTS
This yields about ten 12” crêpes.
- 1 cup of whole wheat unbleached flour or coconut flour or almond flour
- ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- ½ cup of water
- 2 eggs*
- 2 tbsp of melted organic butter**
- Prepare the batter in a large mixing bowl by slowly combine your choice of milk and water into the flour.
- Beat in eggs.
*If you’re skipping the eggs, add ¼ cup of melted butter to the mixture.
- Continue whisking until you’ve achieved a smooth consistency.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge.
- Prepare your toppings by thinly slicing your ingredients.
Tip: a cutting board or a platter could be used to organize your toppings if your guests will assemble their own crêpes.
- To begin cooking, put the pan/skillet on medium heat.
- Lightly brush melted organic butter on your crêpe-maker.
**If you’re making dairy-free crêpes, substitute for organic/raw coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- Slowly add batter to the centre of your cooking surface.
If using a pan/skillet, swirl the mixture around by lifting in circular motions, or use the back of a wooden/metal ladle to spread in outward circular motions. If using a crêpe wand/spreader, place in the centre and spread using outward circular motions.
- Cook for about 30 seconds-1 minute or until golden. Flip and cook until golden.
- Set aside onto a plate and continue. Re-oil the pan once dry (you could probably do so every other one).
You can literally put anything you want into your crêpes, but if you need some ideas, we’ve got you covered!
CRÊPE CONTENT IDEAS
– SWEETS TREATS –
Banana + apple + organic peanut butter + organic jam
Peach + apple + pineapple + organic/raw honey
Banana + strawberry + organic nut butter
Very Very Berry
Strawberries + blueberries + raspberries + blackberries + banana + organic/raw honey
Blueberries + avocado + peach + organic/raw honey
Pineapple + mango + avocado + coconut cream
Peaches ‘n Cream
Peach + blueberries + almonds + coconut cream
– SAVOURY –
- Chicken + spinach + eggs + tomato + olive oil
- Chicken + spinach + mushroom + olive oil
- Chicken + kale + avocado + tomato + olive oil
- Chicken + romaine lettuce + cucumber + tomato + olive oil + balsamic vinegar
- Eggs + kale + avocado + cucumber + olive oil
- Eggs + romaine lettuce + tomato + walnuts + olive oil
- Tuna + romaine lettuce + sweet onion + tomato + radish + olive oil
- Salmon + avocado + cucumber + mango + radish + apple cider vinegar + olive oil
– ADDITIONAL TOPPERS –
- Raw unsalted nuts
- Organic chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Unsweetened yogurt
If you wanna add a subtle kick to your crêpe batter, add cinnamon and/or nutmeg.
We hope that you’re inspired to make some delicious guilt-free crêpes at home. If you’re interested in more recipes like this, The Happy Yam will be releasing its first issue soon. Stay tuned for more good recipes coming your way. Stay good and happy cooking!